Last Modified: 10/15/2016
The Information We Collect
- In the course of using the Services, we ask you to provide us with certain information that could reasonably be used to contact you or identify you personally ("Personal Information"). Personal Information may include, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, credit card or other billing information, email address and mailing address. Personal Information also includes your IP address or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”) that is associated, on a persistent or on-going basis, with your computer, mobile phone or other device (any, a “Device”) you use to access the Services.
- Some features on the Services may ask users to provide certain information that is not personally identifiable, such as city or state of residence, date of birth and gender (such demographic information is referred to collectively, along with Usage Information (defined below), as “Non-Personal Information”). We may use Non-Personal Information for a variety of purposes, including enhancing or otherwise improving the Services. Non-Personal Information is generally non-identifying, but, if we associate it with you as an identifiable individual, we will treat it as Personal Information.
- When visitors use our Services, we and our third-party service providers also may automatically collect some non-personally identifiable information such as the type of computer operating system you are using (e.g., Microsoft Windows or Mac OS), the type of browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox), the domain name of the Internet service provider you are using (e.g., America On Line, EarthLink), your activity while using our Services (e.g., which of our pages you have viewed, the content viewed, and the advertisements you have been shown) (“Usage Information”).
- Please be aware that when you register a J-Novel Club account, other users of the Services may be able to see your screen or user name, in addition to any comments or submissions that you post or submit via the Services. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and that you not use your real name as your screen or user name to the extent that allows others to identify you.
Collection Methods/Tracking Technologies
- We, our third-party service providers and/or partners may also use Tracking Technologies, such as cookies, to manage and measure the performance of advertisements displayed on or delivered by or through the Services. Moreover, we, our third-party service providers and/or our partners may use Tracking Technologies to monitor the behavior and collect data about the visitors viewing a web page.
- In addition to the Tracking Technologies, data collected on our web servers supply us with aggregate Usage Information about the number of visits to different pages on our Services. We use such aggregate Usage Information to improve access to content based on our visitor's browsers and operating system types to make our content available to as many users as possible.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- Personal Information is used for the following purposes: (i) to provide and improve the Services, features and content, (ii) to administer your use of the Services and any account associated with the Services, (iii) to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Services, (iv) to better understand your needs and interests, (v) to fulfill requests you may make, (vi) to personalize your experience, (vii) to provide service announcements, and (viii) to provide you with further information and offers from us or third parties that we believe you may find useful or interesting, including newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information on related services. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
- Email - By registering with one of our Services, you consent to receiving periodic notifications including: relevant account notifications, order/download confirmations. In addition to these, you may opt-in to notifications including: newsletters, forum topic digests and chat notifications. We will provide means to opt-out of any email notifications from us and will include links to opt-out in every email.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- Third Parties. We will not share or sell personally identifiable information, such as e-mail address, with other organizations for their marketing or promotional uses without your express consent.
- Members of Our Services. In addition to your username, any comments or submissions that you post via the Services will be publicly available. Any information you choose to provide in a comment or a submission should reflect how much you want other users to know about you. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and we encourage our Members to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their comments or submissions.
- Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share aggregated information that includes non-identifying information with third parties for industry analysis, and demographic profiling
- Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate the Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform services related to administration of the Services (including, without limitation, bill and credit card payment processing, maintenance, hosting and database management services, web analytics and administration). These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect our (or a third party’s) property and rights, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop any activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical, inappropriate or legally actionable.
- Business Transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
All Members may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile by logging into their account and changing the "account information" associated with their account. We will make good faith efforts to make the requested changes in our then active databases. If you make changes, information may persist internally for administrative purposes and that residual data may remain on backup media or for other reasons. We may also retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. Note, that if you have made any public postings on or through the Services, and you subsequently deactivate your account, those posts usually will not be removed.
We have put in place commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in an effort to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information we collect online. However, no data transmission over the Internet, wireless transmission, or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information we collect. You use our Services and provide us with your information at your own risk